Wednesday, February 17, 2010

And so it begins...

Being a late entrant into the blogosphere, forgive me if I have no idea what I am doing and if I diverge from what is considered 'normal' blogging. I am not good at following rules, rituals, and structures. Hell, I cannot even stay true to engineering even though I graduated pretty high up in my Boston University Class of 2008 with a BSc. in Electrical Engineering. It seems I like researching into the human psyche, studying ancient cultures, discussing political ideologies, and immersing myself in the works of poets and scribes of the past as much as I enjoy working out mathematical proofs or programming obstacle-avoiding point robots in MATLAB.
In this culture of today where career specialization is often touted as gospel, I feel out of place with my diverse range of interests but it was not always like this...there were many periods in the past - most recently the European Renaissance - where people who cultivated their various talents were esteemed and not seen as dilly-dalliers. So, here it begins...this blog is a medium, a test, to see whether I have what it takes to become a "renaissance man."
Beginning tomorrow, I shall discuss Omar Khayyam and his masterpiece The Rubaiyat. Omar Khayyam was a remarkable individual from old Persia (modern-day Iran) who lived and died more than 900 years ago - an accomplished mathematician, philosopher, astronomer, physician, and poet. In other words, the very embodiment of renaissance. Tomorrow (well today when I wake up), the work will begin. So stay tuned for another 'Attempt at Renaissance'!

No comments:

Post a Comment